Fuller Folk
Ellie Nicole Fuller
1 Day Old – 2012
Family History

Hoo's hoo? | Family History | Family Tree | Site Map

Descendants to Edward

William Fuller 1483 married Alice Kinge 1485

John Fuller 1522 married Ann Collinge 1523

Robert Nicholas 1543 married Sarah Frances Dunkhorn January 29, 1551

Edward September 4, 1575 married Ann B Hopkins 1581

New World

Edward Fuller was born September 4, 1575 in Norfolk, England and immigrated over in the Mayflower in 1620, and landing at Cape Cod in November. As stated by Governor Bradford, "Edward Fuller and his wife died soon after they came on shore." Edward died at Plymouth, between January 11 and April 10, 1621; his wife, whose name is sometimes given as Ann, but is really wholly unknown, died early in 1621, after January 11th. Their only child was Samuel, who came over with them in the Mayflower.

Samuel Fuller, son of Edward Fuller, was born April 8, 1612 in Redenhall, Norfolk, England. He grew up under the care of his uncle, Dr. Samuel Fuller, at Plymouth. He had three acres at the division of lands in 1623, receiving, it is thought, those of his father and mother, and one for himself. The land assigned to him was on the south side of the town brook, "to the woodward," and included what is now Watson's Hill.

At the death of his uncle, of whose house he was an inmate, he was left certain cattle, swine, and personal effects, and having reached man's estate, being from twenty-one to twenty-five years of age, started out to seek a home. He became a freeman of the colony in 1634, and settled in the nearby town of Scituate, where on April 8, 1635, he married Jane, daughter of Rev. John Lathrop, the pastor of the Scituate Church. He joined this church, receiving a letter of dismissal from the church at Plymouth.
They had eight children. They are as follows:

Hannah 1636 married Nicholas Bonham

Samuel February 11, 1637 married Ann Fuller 1633

Elizabeth May 31, 1642 married Joseph Taylor

Mary June 16 1644 married Joseph Williams

Thomas May 18, 1650

Sarah December 10, 1654 married Crowe

John January 11, 1656

Unnamed Infant February 8, 1658 died fifteen days after

Descendants to Otis

Samuel April 8, 1612 married Jane Lathrop September 29, 1614

Samuel Jr. February 11, 1637 married Ann Fuller 1633

Barnabas 1659 married Elizabeth Young 1640

Samuel November 1681 married Lydia Canant November 8, 1692

Lot September 18, 1733 married Rachel Webster September 9, 1737

Judah February 3, 1765 married Lois Hastings 1762

Judah Lyman September 24, 1788 married Diana DeLong September 28, 1790

Otis November 1818 married Louise Jane Marean Aprin 16, 1825

Otis Fuller’s Story

These Statements of Account were found in the home of Erwin O. Fuller. He was the son of Henry Marean Fuller and Martha (Mattie) Almira Lilly.

We, Erwin's children feel this is appropriate to include in the information organized by Thalia Petersen.

Leslie Henry Fuller

Elvin Otis Fuller

Joyce Doud Smith (Erwin's sister Florence's daughter)

Vesta Fuller Beach

The Job He Made Of It
By Edgar L. Vincent

"I suppose the Lord, cut out the pattern, but I finished up the jab, and everything considered, I think I make a pretty good job of it."

We were sitting under one of the trees the old man who said this had set out probably half a century before. It was summer, and from the shadow of that tree we could look out over one of the best farms in the Empire State. There was something of pride in the man's voice as he spoke and after hearing his story I could not help agreeing with him that he had indeed succeeded exceedingly well in following out the plan which the Master Architect had laid down for his life. There is inspiration in every word.

"My father died when I was about knee high to a grasshopper. My mother was poor-very poor, even for those days when no such thing as a rich man was known in this country. When I was nothing but a slip of a boy I was bound out to work for a farmer till I was one and twenty. Things did not go right. The man who took me promised to give me as good clothes as other boys of my age had. He failed to do it. I found that my associates were inclined to laugh at me on account of my poor clothes. I was very sensitive on that point. I was large of my age and I have no doubt my feet did stick down through the holes of my trousers a good ways without anything to hide them.

"And then, Mr. Short-that was his name-had promised to let me go to school a certain number of weeks every winter. That he failed to do. This hurt me more than anything else, for I did want to get an education. I never have entirely gotten over the handicap this lack of a fair knowledge of books placed upon me; but I have done my best to make up for this lack by giving my own boys and girls the best chance I could.

"There came a time when I made up my mind that I would not stay any longer with Mr. Short. I had thought the matter over, often, especially at night after I had gone to bed up under the bare rafters; where the rain and snow sometimes lay on the quilts when I woke in the morning. One day I told the farmer that at a certain time I would leave him. If he wanted to do as he had agreed and get me a suit of clothes then, I would be glad, but if not, I intended to go just the same. Mr. Short was fair enough buy me a suit of rough clothes, and this was about all I had in the world then.

"I went out to work among the farmers of the community, saving my money till I had a little over two hundred dollars. Then I bought a small haircovered trunk, which I have kept until now, put my few things into it and started for Syracuse. There I took the Erie Canal, that being the only way we had of traveling in those days except by team and on foot. From Buffalo I took passage on the lake for Detroit.

"A young man of my acquaintance was with me and we made our way toward the north and west until we came into the central part of the, State of Michigan. Here we struck out for the section in which the capital of the State is now located. It was then a great wilderness. Roads were rough and poor. We got a horse and pouring our money into an old pillow tick threw it across the animals back and set out, on the 'ride and tie' plan. That is, he would ride for a while and I would walk; then we would change and I would get up on the horse. At night we would hide the pillow case with our little fortune by the side of the road and stay with some settler.

"So we went on till we came within six miles of the present city of Lansing. Here I liked the looks of things so well that I bought a quarter section of land. It was all government land then, and my deed was signed by the President of the United States. I have it now. I will show it to you presently. That was in the forties and I got the land for a dollar and a quarter an acre. I have owned that land ever since. It is to-day worth probably fifty times what I gave for it. I have made it one of the best farms in all that section of the country.

"But my heart kept turning back to New York and finally I came back and married not far from the home of my boyhood. Soon I bought this farm and ran in debt for it. There was a good deal of timber on the tract, oak and chestnut and some pine. The oak we made up into staves and shooks. The chestnut went into ties and such things. I began to get the place cleared up; but at the same time I commenced to set out fruit trees. I have made a specialty of that ever since. I do not think farmers make fruit the source of profit they might.

"We raised potatoes and lived in the log house till we got the land paid for and were able to build the house yonder. It was a great day for us when we moved out of the log house. You can hardly understand just what it meant to us.

"Well this is the plain story of a plain man. I have done nothing to boast of, and I am not boasting. I am just telling you the facts. I am now past eighty-six. I have raised a good family of boys and girls, seven of them in all. I have given them all a good education. All except one has been a teacher and they are all now well situated in life. One son lives on the Michigan farm.

"I still manage my own business. Some think that strange for a man of my age; but I intend to keep my hand on the lever as long as I live. Why should not I? Last year I gathered with my own hands and marketed in the city ten miles away over three hundred bushels of apples. I never have spared myself on account of the weather, and never had a suit of what folks now call 'underwear'. No use for them. I have been careful about my diet, chewed my food the best I could and tried not to be a crank about anything. I have held some public offices in the township. I was one of the first highway commissioners of the town. When I first voted I walked twelve miles and back to get to the polling place. I seemed to me too far, and I circulated a petition to have the township divided so that we might do our public business nearer home. The bill was passed by the legislature and the town stands as it was then established.

"I have had just one motto and that was to leave the world a little better than I found it."

The name of this man whose head reaches up so high above the hundreds who began life when he did, and who made such a good job of his life is
Otis Fuller.

He is a direct descendant of the Edward Fuller who cast his lot with the sturdy men of the Mayflower.

This is the story of the life of Otis Fuller in his own words that were told to Edgar L. Vincent. It was taken from a newspaper article that was printed in approximately 1904 judging from his age. Otis Fuller was born November 12, 1818 and died February 15, 1911. His parents, to the best of my knowledge, were Lyman Fuller and Diana Delong. He is buried in Bucks Knob Cemetary, East Maine, Broome Co., New York. He married Louisa Jane Marean who was the daughter of Henry Marean and Chloe Delano. Louisa was born April 16, 1825 and died March 12, 1905. She is also buried in Bucks Knob Cemetary.
They had seven children. They are as follows:

Amelia Louisa April 21, 1849 married Robert Hogg

Jennie S. May 12, 1851 married Edgar F. Vincent

Henry M. March 27, 1853 married Hattie A. Lilly

John B. April 25, 1955 married Mattie Cleveland

Ruthalia Diana February 16, 1859 married Eugene Arthur Leadbetter

George O. July 29, 1861 married Mary A. Gunson

Francis E. September 14, 1865 married Sarah Kirkpatrick

Very little is known about Otis Fuller, who is my GreatGrandfather. Because of that, it makes this article all the more valuable. I found it to be not only interesting, but also very inspiring to know what a man of character he was. When I read this, I feel very proud to know that I descended from one such as this. His motto is simple yet profound and certainly one that all can live by.

Thalia Petersen
December 23, 1994

Descendants to Present

Henry Marean March 27, 1853 married Hattie A. Lilly July 15, 1854

Erwin O. September 7, 1881 married Helen E. Patric

Elvin O. February 6, 1914 married Bertha Isabelle Johnson February 14, 1914

Gordon Elvin 1939 married Lynda Ann Decker March 1, 1945

Gordon Jon December 24, 1961 married Rosa Linda Aviles April 25, 1962

Adam Jon May 11, 1985 married Jennifer Marie Botto December 30, 1985

Karter Lee November 19, 2011